Sunday, January 23, 2011


I was at work and I suddenly got one of my urges, I would get these urges from time to time to go see Mason because I just missed him so much. I called in the morning and Jenna answered!  it was a relief whenever she would take care of him because I knew she took extra care and made sure doctors did things to get him to move forward. She told me that as soon as doctor did rounds she would ask if they could make Mason's feedings every 3 hours instead of 6 since he was tolerating them really well, and see if maybe we can up to 2mL by tomorrow. I told her that was great, she also told me that soluf cortef was almost ready to be discontinued which was great great news that meant Mason was doing unbelievably well. I told her I was going to try and get off work, tell them a doctor needed to talk to me and I needed to leave early. She told me she would see me, at around 1 I told my boss I needed to go speak with a doctor I mean they had to understand I had a baby in the intensive care unit. He said it was fine and I left at 2. When I got there Mason was doing really well, his gases were good and he had now been on the regular conventional ventilator for 2 days. When I arrived we chatted and she prepared for touch time. As I got his diaper and everything ready she came in his room and was like so are you ready? I'm like ready for what? She replied she had talked to the doctor and asked if a baby with MRSA could be held skin to skin since this was contact and he was in isolation and we had to gown. Then she told me the doctor had said YES!! and that I was going to do skin to skin TODAY!!! I had not picked a better day to leave work early. I had been waiting for this day for 5 weeks! I got so excited I told her I was going to go to the restroom so I didn't have to go in the middle of holding him. I of course immediately called Louis, I told him I was about to hold Mason he seemed excited but he did not offer to leave home and come over which bummed me out a little. I didn't care though I was gonna hold my baby, I was going to take him out of his incubator for the first time in 5 weeks. I couldn't wait for him to be laying on my chest. We weren't aloud to have our cell phones on so of course I turned it down and was ready for my baby. I came back and Jenna got everything ready, I held him for 3 hours that day just talking to him. Jenna actually took a bunch of pictures of us with a disposable camera I had in his Incubator that I would take a daily picture of Mason with. I talked to him and he fell right to sleep, She actually kept turning his O2 down because he was so comfortable he was breathing really good, He went down to almost room air. It was the best feeling in the world and I was totally in love. I did not want to let go of him. Although it was uncomfortable to sit in a regular chair for 3 hours I did not care as long as I had him near me. Other than his birth this was one of the best days of my life. I held him until shift change when I had to leave, I went downstairs to the cafeteria and waited till 7:30. and went of to my usual night. I came home and slept wonderful that night.The next day I of course wished I could leave work to hold him again but I did have responsibility's and Jenna told me she would write a note so that night shift nurses could let me hold him aswell. They upped his feedings to 2mL every 3 hours and I got the news he was off soluf cortef! this meant he was on NO blood pressure medications. He was doing great! he was growing and he would soon be big enough to get his surgery!. This was Jan 13 & 14 and I got to hold my precious angel for the first time. 


Post a Comment